On this page you will find access to the following:
- South Africa Protected Areas Database: Latest dataset for download
- SAPAD Crowdsourcing / Collaboration Tool
South African Protected and Conservation Areas Database
The South African Protected Areas Database (SAPAD) and the South African Conservation Areas Database (SACAD) are GIS inventories of all protected and conservation areas in South Africa. The database includes data on privately owned protected and conservation areas.
The SAPAD and SACAD is maintained and updated on a regular basis and the latest data is released on a QUARTERLY BASIS. The Protected and Coservation Areas data is packaged in a Zip file containing data in a shapefile format, metadata and definitions document.
The data will be available for non-commercial use by downloading from this portal. Please review the Terms and Conditions for use.
Please note: You will be asked to Register once and thereafter to sign in with your Username and Password, before the data could be downloaded.
The 2017, THIRD QUARTER data release, is now available from the download menu.
Protected Areas Database Revision Tool
Registered users can comment on, or upload information that allows us to improve the database. As a registered user, you will be able to:
- View the data in a map and list format
- Search the database
- Select and open a protected area record and view the details of that area
- Edit reserve details via a simple on-screen dialogue and submit the edited version to the Department
- Upload supporting documentation and GIS data
- Add a new reserve to the database
- Keep track of your submissions
The database distinguishes between various types and sub-types of protected areas and conservation areas.
Protected area types include:
- National Parks
- Nature Reserves
- Special Nature Reserves
- Mountain Catchment Areas
- World Heritage Sites
- Protected Environments
- Forest Nature Reserves
- Forest Wilderness Areas
- Specially Protected Forest Areas
- Marine Protected Areas
Conservation areas types include:
- Biosphere Reserves
- Botanical Gardens
The database is created by the Department of Environmental Affairs.